Monday 15 July 2013

The Hanjan - Spicy Tuna

The Hanjan



Our typical Malaysian culture of “yam-cha” (literal translation: drinking tea, but it means going for drinks) after dinner or lunch; originally would include only mamak (Indian Muslims) road side stalls, or Chinese Kopitiams.

However, youngsters nowadays prefer a cleaner and more comfortable environment. Gone were the days, where we would crave for a Maggie Goreng (Friend instant noodles) or Teh O’ ice (Iced milk tea) or the ever so sinful Roti Canai (Prata). But deep down we still love them dearly, afterall we grew up on them.

So instead of heading to a café, my girlfriends decided to have Soju (Korean rice wine) after our Korean BBQ dinner at Sri Hartamas. Those of you who know me know that I don’t drink, but only if needed. Well, this time I know I was in safe hands, and my friend promised me I only needed to down one shot. =)



We ordered what seemed to be my friends’ favourite dish to go along with the Soju – Spicy Tuna. It was served on a hot plate with an abundance of spring onions on top. Before that my friends were talking about how spicy it was, so I was a bit scared I wouldn’t be able to take it. I bravely took up my chopsticks, and took a bit of the tuna and the spring onion and prayed I wouldn’t cry.

At first you’d taste the saltiness of the sauce, and then once you’ve downed it, the spiciness of it slowly lingers on your tongue, causing you the make that “sssss…aaaaahhh” sound like Rain does when he sings :p This slow yet exhilarating feeling is pretty addictive, you’d keep eating it until you feel that heat you get before you’re about to perspire, and you stop. If you can’t take the heat, the tip is to pick out the Chili Padi when you eat.


Then this is the time where you’ll munch on the other side dishes to cleanse your palate, and cool down. I like the fact that the side dishes had a good combination of blend flavours such as tofu, potato, bean sprouts to counter the spicy taste of the tuna. Neither one of us touched the kimchi and radish, since it was spicy and not advisable to add on to the excitement we were already having. But my favourite side dish of all was the freshly pan roasted peanuts with a sprinkle of salt, which just gives that “ummpphh” when I have it with the Tuna, or it could just be me – the peanut crazy lady.

The spring onion that goes along with the tuna really does bring out the taste of it, and at the same time reducing the “burn”. My friends thought that it helped cover the fishy taste of the tuna, but for me, I felt that the sauce was good enough to cover that.

The ambiance of the restaurant was great as well. You have the choice to sit at the open area, or occupy a cubicle. Although they aren’t sound proof walls, just a wooden partition, you get your own privacy in some way. As for us, we enjoyed just sitting in whatever position we desired, may it be as unglam as possible, who cares, we were all girls :p

The bill came about to a total of RM47.30 (approx SGD 19 & EUR 11) for the Spicy Tuna, a bottle of Soju and a can of Sprite. I would say it’s reasonable and definitely worth a try, if you’re the type who loves hunting for spicy food =)



Final Verdict: 7.5/10
*Not advisable for people who can’t take spicy food.  

Location: No. 8, Jalan 25/70A, Desa Sri Hartamas, Sri Hartamas
*It's located upstairs, taking the lift/stairs is needed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment